Accurate information and sound understanding are the only basis for informed advocacy. From its founding, IAS has been dedicated to improving understanding of the multilateral trading system, US trade policy, the full range of factors affecting global competitiveness, and the opportunities for American involvement in emerging economies. To that end, we have undertaken a number of projects in the United States and abroad.
Information and Capacity Building
- IAS has developed The AFV Insider, a unique web-based data service and quarterly publication covering the emerging alternative fuel vehicle sector. Launched in late 2011, The Insider covers the full range of AFVs on a global basis. Special attention is paid to developments in China based on English and Chinese-language reports and documents.
- IAS developed the Coalition for a Prosperous America Issues Forum as a place where American producers — farmers, ranchers, labor, and manufacturers — can meet to learn about issues of common concern and to consider alternative solutions to their mutual problems. Sponsored by the CPA Education Fund, the Forum meets regularly in downtown Washington, DC. Its discussions are on-the-record, and all sessions are open to the public.
- Under a contract with USAID, IAS conducted an intensive, week-long seminar for 45 senior members of the Indonesian government on issues relating to multilateral trade negotiations. The seminar covered the structure and functioning of the GATT (now WTO), every issue area in the multilateral trade negotiations, and negotiating styles and strategies of major actors. This is believed to be the first overseas capacity-building program ever sponsored by the US government.
- IAS has organized seminars on the trade implications of tax reform, the EU single-market initiative, and market opportunities in China’s Shandong Province.
- IAS has published two print editions of Terms of Trade: The Language of International Trade Policy, Law, and Diplomacy.